Prevention is the best treatment
- Aspirate preferably with ultrasound guidance.
- Local anaesthetic 1% Lignocaine, 14 – 18 gauge needle, irrigate, culture
- 6 – 8 French pig tail catheter for larger abscesses
- Anti-inflammatory medication – Ibuprofen 400mg qid for pain
- Antibiotics – flucloxacillin or dicloxacillin 500 mg 6th hourly 10 days
Follow protocol for treatment of mastitis including
- Frequent breastfeeding – emptying of breast
- Comfort measures including warmth (helps oxytocin let-down), cold packs (reduce oedema)
- Alternate feeding positions
- Bed rest and reassurance – encourage mother to feed baby in bed
- Immune factors in the breast milk help to prevent further infection. Be sure to explain this to mother and reassure the feeding from the affected breast.