Primate evolution commenced 65 MYA Chimpanzees branched off 7MYA
- 3.5 MYA A.Afarensis (Lucy); 3 MYA A.Africanus (Taung’s Child); H. Habilus 2.5 MYA, H. Erectus 2.0 MYA, and H. Sapiens are probably a single evolutionary lineage dating from 2.5 MYA.
- Cranial capacity has increased throughout human history but not at a constant rate. Swiftest growth in past 800,000 years. No obvious change in past 40,000 years
- Control of and use of fire 800,000 years ago
- Modern H.Sapiens dates from 200,000 years ago
- Agriculture 11,000 years ago
- Natural selection may continue to drive the evolutionary process with slow replacement of one gene by another and, with helpful mutations, each step would confer a tiny reproductive advantage which includes mother’s milk.
- Unhelpful mutations may lead to reproductive failure.